CHEAP TRAVEL! Lowest US & international airfares, vacations,
cruises, hotels. Even save on last minute & business travel!
Get thousands of travel agents competing for your business.
http://click.topica.com/aaaaQib1dhdKb1tdRUa/Imandi

(JJ)Militarily, it's much easier to go to war if you can use technology to
make it less personal.

It might make the decision to GO to war easier, but that may be problematic
in itself. Remember the Persian Gulf, the highway of death? Remote control
killing was fine until people had to confront the bood and duts of it, and
then the collective bleating was of horror, horror, horror. Better to keep
one's mind on that from the get go, better to make the good decision at the
start. Besides which, this techno-warfare may not last. Our enemies aren't
going to agree to fight on our terms, and there are lot's of places in the
world where the technologically advanced USAF isn't going to be an
advantage. Several millenia of war, and we still rely on the individual,
often at close quarters. I don't see technology changing that.

(JJ)If we didn't have such a powerful Air Force, would we have intervened in
the Balkans?

We might not have. But if Milosevic hadn't relented, what would the poweful
Air Force have been able to do? I don't think it could have forced a
decision. Remember the Battle of Britain? A determined opponent can
withstand bombing.

(JJ)So I agree with you that humanity is slipping away.  But what is your
position on the military in general?  Do you think no military has a place
in the world?  Do you think militaries are instruments of death and
destruction only, and offer no benefit to the world?

I'll have to think on this.

Jill, who is feeling a little wierd at the parallel universe existence of
the two War and Politics lists.