The subject line is cute, but perhaps a bit trite. I think with a bit of
effort we can do better. :-)

George Herbert wrote:
>On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Todd Allen <toddmal...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>If we don't maintain the focus on free media, we may as well direct
>>people to a web image search, all of which is "use at your own risk"
>>anyway, just like our proposed new repository. Being free content is the
>>Commons value add over Google Images or the like. Keeping a nonfree
>>image repository adds... what?
>
>It allows free reuse of images which fall under the fair use criteria
>between separate Projects, without directly copying them N times between
>the projects, which is an obvious and self evident waste of time and disk
>space.
>
>If fair use is allowed at all, and it is, then we should support
>inter-project reuse on a reasonable basis.  What Commons has become with
>its copyright Stazi is no longer acceptable as a component of a project
>whose educational goal has always and must remain an equally balanced part
>of its total portfolio.
>
>This is not a call to disband Commons; the project and world benefit from
>that existing as is.  But we need an alternative to support the
>educational mission, reasonable inter-project reuse, and end the endless
>deletion wars.

Thank you, George Herbert, for making a number of good points in this
thread. I think we should capture these arguments and ideas in a page on
Meta-Wiki for further thought and consideration.

To respond to Todd's question from a slightly different direction, the
advantages of file repositories such as Commons or the English
Wikipedia's is that they allow us to keep the files forever (we host the
files and can manage them as we see fit) and they allow directly
embedding the files into articles and other pages, protecting user
privacy by not having browsers accessing other hosts directly. Whenever a
user loads an file, their IP address and the file name are recorded in
server logs. In addition to exposing private user data, hosting files
elsewhere can be a substantial burden on the (often unsuspecting) hosts. A
few Wikimedia wikis get quite a lot of traffic. :-)

I agree with the general sentiment that dealing with Commons is a pain in
the ass. Just a few weeks ago I was annoyed and frustrated yet again with
Commons and its policies.

Broadly, copyright is painfully and horribly complex and unfair. Commons
is a global project, so the ill effects of copyright are often
dramatically amplified by a dizzying mixture of copyright laws around the
world and differences in cultural norms, including ideas about fair use
and ownership and author rights and much more.

It doesn't help that some Commoners, particularly some Commons admins,
sometimes seem to revel in this legal minefield. Editors just want a
centralized file repository that will house their files in perpetuity.
Not everyone is interested in debating the finer points of the horrible
system of copyright laws we're now forced to live with.

Yes, the work that Wikimedia is doing will likely slightly ease the burden
of copyright in the long run, but it's reasonable to re-examine the
current reality and medium-term future to see if there aren't better,
workable solutions. I imagine others have already done some of this
research either on Meta-Wiki or on Commons.

From the technical side, supporting one-click (i.e., easy to use) file
moves between wikis would be enormously helpful here. This would allow
transferring files to Commons or from Commons without much pain, which
should reduce a lot of friction. As David notes, we could set up
additional file repositories for use in Wikimedia wikis, but it requires
solving the hosting issues mentioned above.

It makes sense to investigate and discuss a shared file repository that
allows fair use files. While I think it's indisputable that Wikimedia
prefers and encourages content that's released under a free license, we
currently have a system that actively decentralizes fair use content,
which is simply unacceptably inefficient, in my opinion.

MZMcBride