I've been thinking about these inline ads since I first encountered one,
which I believe was either yesterday or today. I'm uncomfortable with the
idea of inline ads, but they seem to be clearly delineated from article
content, and as far as I can tell there is simply no easy way to do on-wiki
fundraising without a certain amount of distraction to the reader. I don't
like this practice, but it's hard for me to say that I dislike it any more
than massive banners. Until WMF has such a large endowment that it no
longer needs to do online fundraising (which would create a different set
of financial accountability problems than we have now; maybe or maybe not
more or less, but different) I'm reluctantly willing to go along with the
program. If people have some convincing reasons why inline fundraising
should not happen, I hope that they will speak up. At the moment I think
it's OK to go with the flow.

In the future I would suggest that this kind of change should be
communicated ahead of time, on this mailing list and elsewhere. (Unless I
missed it, which would be my fault.

Thanks,

Pine