Personally I think the inline banners are invasive to the content, unlike
side bar or top of page banners which dont interfere with the delivery of
content, the page layout or potentially imply association with the topic. I
also recognise that mobile presentation is already degraded to suit the
device so its aesthetics impact would be lower on that medium compared
desktop services.

As I havent encounted one besides the screen shot and samples I cant
comment on the practical aspects of impact on a stub article over that of a
featured article nor how it relates to the subject topic.

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia