Hey Pine,

Communicating about testing is something we need to work out how to
improve. One of the issues is the sheer volume of content we are dealing
with. During these early days our banner team is running about 7 tests a
day, and we have already tested 66 banners and counting. That doesn't
include all of the prototype work in design process and since tuesday
nearly 200 banners have been created.

Some ideas are ones that you've been sitting on saving up for big english,
others are ones you dig out of the closet based on new information, then
there are tests that are done on the fly in reaction to the recent results
that take your course in a whole different trajectory and many (often the
unexpected successes and often the bolder choices) are the ones that that
are spur of the moment.

To be fair this was more in the second category. We tried it once earlier
in the year and we suspected it was something we would revisit. In this
instance we probably could have flagged it up sooner. But running such test
is still valuable information, it allows for an informed discussion. It
should be noted that the fundraising team isn't directly purely by
fundraising success rates. Through the design process we filter out many of
the more... shall we say... bolder banners. Even when some of the bolder
actions that do get tested and have been highly successful, a decision has
been made to put the idea to one side.

And in this instance although the test was successful, we had decided that
although a winner, it was the lessons to take away that were more
important. From there we hope to arrive at a banner that draws from the
success but is delivered in a way that is easier on the eye. And as always
we are definitely interested in hearing feedback on such efforts. It does
genuinely guide our work even if it may not appear to.

Regards
Seddon