Hey Magnus,

There are a few other factors to consider in addition to those listed. For
example, development cost. Our maps tile service is not compatible with the
iOS app out of the box. This isn't surprising; Apple wants you to use
things like Apple Maps rather than your own solution. Android is, by its
nature, a more open platform, so I am not too surprised that it was easier
to integrate our tile server into the Android app than the iOS app. Sadly,
it's not as simple as just switching over to OSM-based tiles; on the
contrary, it's a significant amount of work.

Now, using our tile service would also have required the iOS app to use the
MapBox SDK. This is the size of all their other third party libraries
combined, significantly increasing app download size. The size of your app
can significantly reduce downloads [1]. Switch a single feature over to a
different set of map tiles, and possibly decreasing downloads of the app,
seems like a dangerous and counterintuitive tradeoff to me.

So the question is, given all this, is switching over the nearby feature to
use OSM-based tiles instead of Apple Maps worth it? In the long run, if
these problems could be solved, I'd say it absolutely is worth it. But, in
the short term, the work would take significant time and effort, and could
actually decrease app usage by decreasing the app download rate; that
tradeoff doesn't seem worth it to me.

Thanks,
Dan

Disclaimers: These are my opinions only. I worked on the apps in the past,
but haven't for two years; my statements about development costs may be
wrong, and the apps folks may well disagree with me about things. I work in
the department responsible for Wikimedia maps, but have only worked on the
team working on maps for a couple of months.

[1]: https://segment.com/blog/mobile-app-size-effect-on-downloads/

Dan Garry
Lead Product Manager, Discovery
Wikimedia Foundation