As a programmer myself I understand that free vs non-free causes more work
for you. However you cannot ignore one of the foundations of the wikimedia
movement because it makes a little more work for you. I honestly don't
understand why you thought that Apple maps would be acceptable at all. You
have both a breach of our privacy policy and a violation of our free
software enforcement policy. Yes using OSM adds work and increases the
download size, but is a valid option. If OSM or other free software wasn't
possible then we might consider non-free  alternatives but that's not the
case.