Hoi,
One point about OSM is that it provides a better service in situations that
are sub optimal. The infra structure for Haiti is diminished and it is in
OSM where people are actually working hard to provide the best map service.

We have had nearby function in Labs for a very long time, I have read the
article and I find what has been decided, it does not provide me with the
reasons for it. As far as I am concerned you chose to go this way.
Thanks,
       GerardM