Hello! The Advisory Board (AB) and its role was indeed among the BGC
priorities for this year [1]. And I have been working with the former AB
members on a concept for how the AB’s work should be organized. The concept
they came up though needs to be clarified and improved, especially on how
the AB internal coordination will be organized [2]. The group will work on
this with minimal overhead from the Board of Trustees and without
staff/budget support at first. The BGC believes that the AB can be used as
a practical path for prospective members of the Board Board of Trustees,
and to formalize relationships between high-profile experts, and staff and
the Board members. We shall answer with more details soon.

We have not made any announcements, as we're in the process, which I ope is
understandable - there is no formal constitution of the body yet.

Dariusz & Nat

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/Minutes_2016-07-08#Advisory_Board
[2]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/Minutes_13-04-2017

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 6:49 PM, Rogol Domedonfors <domedonf...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Craig
>
> Thanks for your thoughtful response.  There are two gneral issues around
> the Advisory Board that members of the Community might be interested in.
>
> Firstly, it seems that after having lapsed in 2015, the Advisory Board has
> been reconstituted, but there has been no announcement to the Community,
> and indeed the Community was given no opportunity to engage with the
> process of reconstitution (for example, by way of suggesting new members or
> new processes).  In particular, we in the Community do not know who the new
> Advisory Board members are, or what the new remit of the Advisory Board is,
> or whether and how to engage with those members.
>
> Secondly, as a consequence there are no established channels for engagement
> between the Advisory Board and the Community.  As a member of the new
> Avdvisory Board, you may wish to encourage your colleagues to establish
> appropriate opportunities and rules of engagement for yourself and your
> fellow members to engage with the Community.
>
> You mentioned "tradtions".  I am sorry to say that my personal view is that
> the relationship between the Board of Trustees and the wider Foundation on
> the one hand and the Community of contributors and consumers on the other
> has "traditionally" been less than satisfctory.  I hope that this is one
> tradition that your advice will be helpful in overturning.
>
> "Rogol"
>
> On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 4:43 PM, Craig Newmark <craig.newm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Rogol, I'm on the advisory board, and actively involved in related
> issues,
> > but have hesitated posting in respect for Community traditions (as I
> learn
> > them) and also, as a large effort emerges in journalism regarding
> reliable
> > sources.
> >
> > Specifically, the latter involves the News Integrity Initiative centered
> at
> > the City University of NY, graduate journalism department.
> >
> > That's to say, I hesitate until I learn the respectful way to talk about
> > this, and until the NII has a lot more to say.
> >
> > Additional constraint per the ethics of funding nonprofit journalism, per
> > the American Press Institute: when I say something, I need to be
> > transparent while also Doing No Harm.  (The latter is surprisingly
> > difficult.) To that effect, I gotta disclose that I provide significant
> > funding to the NII as well as WMF.
> >
> > I'd appreciate your advice, and that of anyone interested in this
> subject.
> > Thanks!
> >

> > Craig Newmark, founder craigslist
> >

> > On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 7:10 AM, Rogol Domedonfors <
> domedonf...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > This Board was fomed in 2007 to advise the  Wikimedia Foundation, and
> was
> [...]

__________________________
prof. dr hab. Dariusz Jemielniak
i grupy badawczej NeRDS
Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl

Wyszła pierwsza na świecie etnografia Wikipedii "Common Knowledge? An
Ethnography of Wikipedia" (2014, Stanford University Press) mojego
autorstwa (Dorothy Lee Award 2015, Nagroda Naukowa Prezesa PAN 2016)
http://www.sup.org/book.cgi?id=24010

Recenzje
Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml
Pacific Standard: