Why?

-----Original Message-----
From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of
Pax Ahimsa Gethen
Sent: Monday, 16 October 2017 7:21 PM
To: wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Women in red

The people whose opinion should most matter in determining whether a comment is
sexist are women. Not men, and not non-binary transmasculine people like myself.

I support and echo Emily and Molly's earlier comments on this thread:

> Also, in case it's not clear from my forwarding of Emily's/Keilana's
> message, I endorse it completely and am glad she made her points.
>
> I agree fully with Keegan and Sydney. I don't think the concerns that
> this will be overtaken by bots are well-founded; that was planned for
> in the document outlining the competition, and editors involved in
> this project will be subject to all expectations of normal editors
> (including not mass-producing poor-quality content).
>
> As for Keegan's original post, there is a major difference between
> describing an email as sexist versus labeling the sender as a sexist.
> I believe Keegan meant the former, and I'm not sure anything he's said
> can be described as an attack on the sender so much as a valid
> criticism of poor wording.
>
> – Molly (GorillaWarfare)
>
> On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 11:44 PM, GorillaWarfare
> <gorillawarfarewikipedia@ gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Emily (User:Keilana) is having some trouble getting mails through to
> this list, so I'm forwarding this on her behalf in case it's an issue
> with her email address.
>
> "This is some sexist bullshit. You really think we can't handle some
> stubs? And do you really, really think that people won't try to AFD
> everything that comes out of this contest as it is?
>
> I'm sick and tired of this idea that we have to hold shit about women
> to a higher standard than literally anything else. The encyclopedia
> isn't going to break because, god forbid, some inexperienced newbies
> write a bunch of stubs.
>
> And so what if people think we're paying lip service to women? It's
> better than being seen as being actively hostile to women, which, as I
> shouldn't have to remind you, is our reputation as it currently stands."
>
> – Molly (GorillaWarfare)

- Pax aka Funcrunch

--
Pax Ahimsa Gethen | p...@funcrunch.org | http://funcrunch.org | Pronouns: