Hi Peter,

Personally, I'm a fan of having this in LocalSettings.php :
-------------------------------------
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['edit'] = false; // anonymous editing disabled.
$wgEmailConfirmToEdit = true; // have to confirm email address to edit.
-------------------------------------

It allows anyone to create an account, and edit, once they have
confirmed their email address, by clicking the link. It takes about 30
seconds to do, and it's pretty quick and easy. I think (correct me if
I'm wrong) you have to have someone manually do something to enable
editing currently for the aussie wiki, which I for one have simply have
never bothered to do because it sounds like a bit of a hassle. Allowing
people to confirm themselves is definitely a step lower in terms of
security, but still seems to stop almost all spammers. However at the
other end of the spectrum (open editing, lowest security, highest
accessibility), the wikis with open editing seem to accumulate some
spam/automated gibberish/general crap though (not a raging torrent, but
enough to be annoying).

Just my 2 cents.

-- All the best,
Nick.