I can't say I'm enamored with the idea of anonymous editing. As I recall, we
had several reasons for restricting editing. As Liam said, one was to
provide members privs (editing rights for the wiki is still listed on the
membership page as a member's benefit), and another was concern about
disruption - vandals, spammers, and whatnot.  I don't think we're currently
equipped to deal with the 'cons' that go along with the 'pros' of anonymous
editing. Currently we have 32 registered users, minus at least four testing
and alternate accounts. Of the remaining 28, 4 are classed as active (edited
in the last 7 days) and a large portion of the rest have never edited
outside establishing user/user talk pages. From a practical standpoint, I
would be very concerned about how the extra cleanup and monitoring of recent
changes, which inevitably goes hand-in-hand with anonymous editing, would be
managed so that it wouldn't just become another job for a small number of
people who already have a lot of work to do (don't meant that to sound at
all snarky :)).  Also agree with what Brianna said about members v open
spaces and undue influence on the Chapter from non-members etc.

I do, however, agree with Peter's comments about reasons people without
memberships and accounts may find themselves wanting to edit and it would be
nice to find a way to facilitate this but I can't imagine that I would
support anonymous editing at least until/unless we have a reasonably active
wiki community and that seems unlikely for the foreseeable future.  Also I
honestly don't think that creating an account is currently that onerous for
members and you don't have to write emails. Simply fill out this form to
request an account - http://wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Special:RequestAccount

-Sarah