Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 12:07:17 +1000
From: liamwy...@gmail.com
To: wikimediaau-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: [Wikimediaau-l] WP citations in NLA/Trove

As many of you know, the National Library and its Trove service include a WP
citation code in the "cite this" drop down in all search results (along with
currently in the midst of a very broad tech and database integration process -
part of which is revisiting what kinds of citations are useful where. I'm going
to a meeting next week to discuss where the WP citation sits within this and
I'd really appreciate some feedback:

1) What effect does the Visual Editor have on the provision of this kind of
code. Is it even useful anymore to provide pre-filled wiki markup?2) Which
kinds of results are useful to have this service provided, and which are
irrelevant? I believe the best use-case is for individual newspaper articles
within Trove. However, I believe that there is little/no value in providing
this service for individual book results in the NLA catalogue search (because
WP just wants the ISBN, not the fact that it's in any individual library's
collection). However - what about manuscripts, music scores, unpublished
collections of personal papers, digitised maps.... Is it useful to have this
service provided in those circumstances?

-Liam / Wittylama(In this case I'm asking from my professional capacity as
employee of the NLA)

--
wittylama.com
Peace, love & metadata