I've never used a NLA generated citation template, but have added many templates generated by Diberri's template filler, the google books tool, DOIBot and by hand. (RDBrown)

Like the British Library, Library of Congress, Worldcat or Google the NLA doesn't (from a quick look) provide structured metadata on the catalog entry webpages. (View Page Info in Firefox). It will provide book title and author in the description array.

The ABC provides Dublin Core metadata and there is the "Publishing Requirements for Industry Standard Metadata" http://prismstandard.org/namespaces/1.2/basic/

http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/5811404/Details?
Making the guess that the catalog librarian's view data is MARC I'd suggest

Adding a dc.identifier "MARC001:5811404" tag (where the number is the catalog entry number) If not already available, provide a URL where the catalog entry may be downloaded as XML for which ever standard wraps it. For periodicals like Trove newspapers, provide dc.date, maybe prism.{volume,number,startingpage} If possible open source the existing tools for mapping MARC? data to citation formats.

So rather than attempting to support particular citation formats, provide metadata and access to structured catalog data so that browser plugins or other tools can be used to format them as they require.
Providing a precedent for doing so could also be valuable.

Does Koha provide any tools for this kind of thing? What metadata do they provide?

I'd ask Brianna Laugher's opinion of this suggestion too - if it's worth considering.