Hi Adam,

We've been proceeding in negotiations with the other partners on the basis
that we won't (and can't - committing that amount of money with no
guarantee that we'll get it would risk us trading insolvent) be able to
contribute anything in the second and third years unless we get the money
from somewhere.  We are seeking to have this (and a few other issues)
written into the relevant paperwork and contracts before we sign so that
everyone knows where we stand and so that WMAU can exit gracefully if need
be.  As Kerry has pointed out, this is likely to be a slow process but that
"get out" clause is an absolute necessity for us.  Both UQ and APC
appreciate and understand our position here and it's something that is
agreed in principle, we just need to get the lawyers on it.  If anyone
reading this is or knows a lawyer who'd be happy to look at this for us pro
bono please contact Kerry! :-)

In terms of deliverables for that project, the plan is to continually have
outputs throughout the entire three years rather than saving everything up
and releasing it all at the end.  It's clear that in the first year there
needs to be enough programmatic work and proven impact of the Linkage Grant
on WMF movement goals to not only justify the initial investment, but also
to justify spending more on it in future years.  Again, we've flagged this
to the partners in the Linkage Grant.

As an aside, it would of course be great if we could get a multiyear
commitment from the Foundation to support this, but we've been told that
multi-year grants and programmes are off the table as far as WMF granting
schemes are concerned for the foreseeable future.

I also agree that the chapter and its volunteers *have* done a lot of great
work over the past few years, and I think you've hit the nail on the head
that we've often failed to effectively communicate our successes.  Part of
any projects going forward will be a need to say "here's how we're going to
measure success" before we actually dive in on any project, so that we can
either use that measurement as justification for further funding, or use
that measurement to figure out what went wrong and make sure we don't make
the same mistake twice.

Cheers,
Craig