I think to get more volunteers involved we need a way to communicate with
more volunteers. There appear to be many people in the

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedians_in_Australia

and its various sub-categories, sub-sub-categories etc. Perhaps we should
"talk" to them on-wiki and see if we can get them to join this mailing list.
Then at least we might have a better way to communicate to them about events
and projects, such as Freopedia. I won't go so far as to call it a
membership drive, but at least let's try and recruit more sympathisers.

Also, Adam mentioned using Meetup

http://australia.meetup.com/cities/au/

as a way to perhaps attract new people to local events. If you are not
familiar with Meetup, it sends people who are signed up a weekly (I think)
email about events coming up that seem to match their interests based on
past registration or that their friends (Facebook or whatever you've been
been willing to share with it) are registered for. The site seems have a lot
of "geeky" kinds of groups and events so this might be a good place to
recruit. The other similar thing that we might use is EventBrite:

http://www.eventbrite.com/

which is similar (probably a bit more focussed on ticketing) but it's used a
lot by State Library of Queensland and other libraries, so again it might be
a way to reach into communities who engage with libraries who might have
some natural sympathies with Wikipedia. AFAIK, both of the above sites are
free to use for free events (which fits pretty much everything we do).

Of course, if we start recruiting from outside of WMF sites, we must
remember that we are likely recruit people without editing skills so we must
have a plan to address this.

Kerry

  _____