2009/2/18 Michael Peel <em...@mikepeel.net>:
> Hi all,
>
> The WMF has just announced grants for chapters: "If a chapter has
> work it wants to get done in the furtherance of our overall mission
> and goals during the fiscal year 2009-2010 (July 1, 2009 -June 30,
> 2010), but it cannot do it without financial support, the Wikimedia
> Foundation is inviting that chapter to ask the Wikimedia Foundation
> for funding."
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_chapters/WMF_grants
>
> The deadline for this is 30 March. The value of the grant has to be >
> 500 USD.
>
> Does anyone have any projects in mind that could benefit from such a
> grant?

Pretty much everyone on our list of ideas, I guess... We should choose
something specific, though! Going into schools to promote Wikipedia
and show how to use it (and the other projects, I guess) might be a
good place to start (we could try and get journalists to turn up too
so we can spread the word of our existence). The only real cost for
that is travel - picking some numbers out of thin air, if we say we
want visit 5 schools, with a team of 3 going to each school, and it
costs £100 per person to get there, that comes to £1500, a reasonable
amount to ask for.