From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Matt Liotta
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 10:44 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] high throughput backhaul options

John Scrivner wrote:
> Wow! Business must be good!

That depends on your perspective. We have a ton of orders and are racing
to service them all. The more we install the more capacity upgrades we
have to do meaning even more installs. This kind of growth is extremely
challenging because if it isn't done correctly we can destroy the company.
> Look at licensed. I know that is obvious but I think it is the only
> way short of bonding Orthogons together. I thought the max distance
> for 70 GHz gbps radios was about 7 miles. It has been a while since I
> read the specs. I am sure the rain fade would be an issue here. There
> is actually much less attenuation of 70 GHz than there is at 60 GHz.
> There is a spike of absorption of 60 GHz where water molecules eat
> that signal. It gets better above 60 GHz. I believe that you can go
> through the air better with as high as 100 GHz than what you can with
> 60 GHz. Obviously there are other licensed options in lower frequency
> space as well. I know Charles has some experience running licensed
> high capacity backhaul. Charles, what do you run for backhaul over 100
> mbps FDX?

Licensed doesn't make a lot of sense for us. We simply don't have the
ability to predict where are growth is coming from. We routinely upgrade
existing backhauls and/or reconnect our POPs together in different ways
to increase our capacity and redundancy. With licensed we are forced to
have a static configuration.
> I thought 24 GHz unlicensed had limited bandspace which made the top
> end about 100 mbps FDX?

DragonWave seems to have a 24Ghz unlicensed product that can do 200Mbps
full duplex.

-Matt