Why in the world, I want to know, are organ availability notifications
going out via email???!!! Seriously. How fun will it be when they
start serving subpeonas and such that way - What I never got that
email??

~fred

On 12/16/06, Mike Ireton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The really interesting part of this:

> The attack cut off service for one woman who was waiting for an e-mail
> notifying her about the availability of an organ transplant that she
> required, according to prosecutors. Because of her critical status, her
> provider gave her priority status and restored her access within 24 hours.
>
> "Had her medical providers sent her an e-mail notifying her of a
> suitable organ donor and had she not responded because of her lost
> Internet access, she might have lost her priority for an organ, thus
> potentially extending the period she would have to wait for another
> donor," wrote prosecutors in the indictment.

       People are starting to believe their email is guaranteed and that their
computers can be entrusted with life saving information. Worse yet, it
appears these prosecutors would have trumped this up and made hay out of
it had her mail not gotten there. So in another context - what if the
stock pump and dump scammers started using wrapper text that mentioned
organ donations to the point of poisoning the Bayesian databases of all
spamassassin enabled mail servers? What if the mail has been blocked
outright due to other spam filtering already in place? Or put into a
quarantine and she didn't look in her quarantine box in time? Or if the
sending server of the mail was on an RBL due to some other user at the
site sending spam to spamcop spamtraps for example?

       Drama is drama. I think what this guy did was reprehensible and he
certainly deserves the clink, but what he did is not any kind of threat
or risk to health and safety - the stupidity of using email and
computers for life saving communications IS.

$0.02

Mike-