Jon,

When discussing GPS, you continue to offer examples from the licensed
world, which is about as relevant as trying to do an apples to apples
comparisons of mobile licensed cellular service plans with UL fixed
wireless. As I have said before (last week), licensed uses GPS due to
the necessity of having to re-use a small amount of channel over and
over again, cell after cell. That's not the case in the UL world, except
perhaps for Canopy whose bandwidth availability is so low relative to
the channel.

Jon, you, me, the fence post and everyone else knows why Canopy -- alone
in the entire UL 5GHz world -- requires GPS to scale, it's to keep from
stepping all over itself. It is not even a debatable point. The
recommendation is right there in Canopy white papers -- let me
paraphrase: "Deploying Canopy? What to scale? Buy this $1,500 cluster
management module for each cell! (P.S. Don't forget the $125 power
supply.)"

Seriously, saying Canopy's GPS (something you have to pay extra for
even) is a value-added feature is like saying my car is special because
it has tires. I have to hand it to Motorola though, they have convinced
you that the one thing no other brand needs in UL, is something you have
the privilege of paying extra for just to get your brand to work well in
even modest scale in the first place.

Patrick Leary
AVP WISP Markets
Alvarion, Inc.