Right guys, I accept all that may be true but even in the DSL world,
customers provide their own routers and that is certainly true of
commercial customers.

In any event, VL does many of things for which you think make a router
so critical. Even better, it does a lot of them at the RF level which
makes the link and total network more efficient. Frankly though, I need
one of my engineers in this type conversation; I'm just not technically
competent enough on the networking side (and barely so in the nitty
gritty of the RF side).

At the same token, many here that are truly skilled remain under exposed
on the RF side since most have not used truly sophisticated gear that
allows for depths of tweaking beyond that which you have experienced. I
have never encountered an old hand who, once thoroughly exposed to our
firmware in a scaled system, did not say something along the lines of,
"Wow, I did not know that sort of thing could be even be done!" or "You
mean that's all we have to do to do that? That always took me hours
before!" Basically, I think many of you have trained and become good
street racers, but you've not yet become real race car drivers because
you are still driving souped up street cars not realizing a real race
car actually IS different.

Patrick Leary
AVP WISP Markets
Alvarion, Inc.