OK, lets be clear on what the rules are today guys. (Why did I know that THIS thread was gonna turn out to be a ton of fun (said the pot to the kettle))

Here's how it works. If you have a AP out there it can have a MAX output of 4 watts. 36dB. That holds true for 900, 2.4 and 5.8 bands. I forget what the strange 5.7 unii band rules are but I think they are 4 watt also, at the ap.

The 5.2 (some call it the 5.3) gig band has a 1 watt limit.

As for antenna choices, you can use any antenna of the SAME type as long as it's of equal or lower gain AND the same type. If you are using an ap radio (doesn't matter if it's in a tranzeo box, war board or mt or whatever anymore) certified with a 15 dB vpol omni then you can use any vpol omni of similar in and out of band specs that's 15 dB or less. Want to run a 15 dB hpol omni? Nope, gotta go get it certified with that (I could be wrong on this one but I don't think so). Certainly if you want to put a sector on, so sorry, no can do. Unless that is, it's certified with *A* sector.

Here's the really fun part. Under the NEW rules (from a year or two ago) if you want to run an amp it has to be a part of a COMPLETE system. AND the devices have to be keyed to each other. Meaning that the ap and the amp have to have unique connectors or be electronically keyed to each other. Thanks Michael Young formerly of YDI.

On the cpe side things get even more fun. I'm only gonna talk about ISM rules as I keep forgetting exactly what the UNII rules are and few mix and match in the UNII band anyway.

900 mhz
4 watts max. You can use any antenna you want as long as it's of the same type (grid, yagi, panel) and similar specs as the LARGEST one certified with the radio. If they certified a 20 dB yagi, you can use almost any yagi that's 20dB or less. If they certified no yagis you can't use one.

2.4 ghz
Starts at 4 watts. 30 dB of radio output and 6dB of antenna gain. For ever dB you reduce the radio output you can raise the antenna gain by 3dB. At 24 dB of radio output (250mw) you can put on a 24dB grid. This gives you a total of 60 watts of output. Same rules apply though. If the radio isn't certified with a grid antenna or with one that's less than 24 dB you can't do this. Make sure that your radio manufacturers are certifying everything with the LARGEST antenna of all common types!!!!! If they aren't certified with anything but a consumer grade rubber ducky, we can't legally use the radios.

5.8 ghz
Starts with 4 watts. 30dB of radio output and 6 dB of antenna gain. Go as big as you want with the antennas, no need to drop the radio power. Same other rules about certification apply.

Is my network perfect? Nope. Is it all within eirp limits? You bet. Well, I've got one sector that used to be an omni and I need to pull our the amp but I'll save that project for better weather. And it's only hurting me (does create a LOT of interference on one of my other systems in town). Do I go around bragging about, or complaining about compliance issues? Nope.

That said, I'm working very hard to correct any compliance issues we have. It'll take another year or two, but I'll have everything certified. Things are growing too fast and getting too good to think that we can stay under the radar. Eventually there will have to be a crack down. Or another change in the rules. I'm not sure which will happen, I prefer at least an eirp crackdown. It's hard enough competing in this industry without a bunch of people that don't understand that more is not better most of the time screwing up the airways. (BTW, that's the bad thing about rec. thresholds. They tend to raise the overall noise floor which, in the end, is the same as running more amps out there.)

If you hire a consultant that doesn't at least explain all of this to you, go hire a new consultant. The one you have either doesn't know the rules or he's only in it to take your money. And if he'll take your money without worrying about your long term legality, what else will he do to you?

Let the Marlon bashing begin!
Marlon
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.odessaoffice.com/wireless