Comments inline...

Daniel White
3-dB Networks

With the exception of Matt Larsens operation (although I knew his last one
much better :-), I really have no extensive knowledge of any of these
networks, so I really can't argue about them.  What I can point out though,
is I can think of that many Canopy WISP's that are that large.  So while
Canopy might not dominate the market, it very well could (underline
underline italics) have the largest market share.  Obviously I have no data
to back that up, its my personal observation from my perch out here in
Colorado...

> Sure, Canopy is emergencing as a company that is continueing to evolve in
> compatibility with WISP models to enable expansion to 20mbps and beyond.
> But to say Canopy owned the large player market is ludicris.

I don't think I meant to come off as they owned the market, but they are a
big player.  I don't even know what would happen if we added in the
international market...

> You could argue Canopy was a preferred choice for many Muni plays, most
> all
> of which went bankrupt or shut down their networks, creating one of the
> largest availability stockpiles of second hand used product for WISPs to
> now
> buy at discount, compared to any other brand. I find it interesting that
> Alvarion and Trango still hold their value higher on Ebay.

Can't argue with that.  Earthlink really screwed up that part of the
market... although I would say the gear is still at a reasonable price all
things considered.

> I'll also argue that what is considered preferred choice gear is a leap
> frog
> game.  Ironically, I personally have been using some Canopy recently,
> because of a unique value proposition it offers for specific application
> on
> this given day. However, there are many new players, which very well may
> bring the next best product line to the market. A perfect example are new
> products like Redline, Aperto, Alvarion dominating the new 3650 markets.

No argument here from me.  We actually resell Aperto 3.65 because we see how
strong of a play they have there where Motorola has no presence.  But AKAIK
there has been no 5,000 sub 3.65 deployments (heck I would doubt there has
even been any 1,000 sub deployments yet) so its hard to say where the band
will end up.  Motorola will have a strong position in the TVWS spectrum
(which I personally believe could redefine the WISP industry), and Motorola
does dominate the 2.5GHz WiMax band (at least from the last report on I saw
on Broadband reports).

> And the comment "are swapping out their Trango gear anyways.", that's a
> croc.  If they are swapping them out, they are fools. Eight years later,
> my
> Trangos are as strong as the day they were installed.

That wasn't my argument.  The WISP in question is now owned by JAB, who has
standardized on Canopy.  They also deployed a lot of 5.2GHz, which is now as
far as I know no longer available.  I think the decision was made for them
either way... it probably wasn't a choice.  But the fact remains, once they
switch to Canopy I don't think there will be one larger WISP in Colorado who
does not have Canopy in their network.

> I'd actually argue the opposite of your comment. Alvarion always had the
> reputation as the choice for the larger VC funded companies that could
> afford the best.

Alvarion has that reputation for sure.  I have seen very little of their
gear deployed though (admittingly I wasn't in the industry during the
Breezemax days...)

> Canopy is more destined to be a preferred choice for
> "small
> operators."  To Canopy's luck, Trango, the price and engineering leader,

I'd argue that point all day long... Trango/Canopy pricing is about dead
even every time I have seen a quote on Trango... and I don't think they have
been ahead of the Canopy product line in years...  your next statement backs
that up.

> and
> favorite to many medium size providers, decided not to continue down the
> path to evolve PtMP solutions into the next generation 20-30mbps
> capacities,
> therefore leaving the door wide open for Canopy to work its way into
> winning
> business from smaller market providers. If a WISP wants 20mbps, and
> doesn't
> want to mess around with OEM style gear, its one of the solution left that
> can do it at near the same price point.

Actually in some ways Aperto gear can end up being cheaper at this point
than Canopy at 21Mbps... but I hope a wide adoption of TVWS at that level
will change the game.  The 430 series gear is going to be even more
interesting... delivering 42Mbps... OEM platforms and 3.65 equipment is
going to have a hard time competing with that...