John,

My boss has field tested Aperto's gear to 15miles at full modulation... so a
30km cell radius (18 miles) is possible.

But the thing is that wouldn't be the average deployment... and with Cyclone
gear you could push the system out that far too (because its going to be
line of sight, and the cell is going to be on a mountain top probably)

If the only thing you know about deploying gear is trees like the east
coast... that expectation isn't going to work for you.  If you live in the
west where you have towers on mountaintops that can be seen from 70 miles
away... its okay.

My biggest problem with Jeff's analysis is how many customers signed up in a
year... I don't think any WISP will grow 500 customers in 5 months.  Or even
150 customers in 5 months (well I've setup a tower before and signed up that
many customers to one... but that is the exception rather than the norm).
The other catch would be... none of this math makes sense in a rip and
replace... so unless your new... you have to rip an old system out to get
WiMAX.

I also have a slight issue with the assertion that Canopy does not do
VoIP... it does it just fine and many Canopy WISP's also sell VoIP services
(prime example... Skybeam/JAB).  There also is never a 100% take rate on it
(probably more like 50% tops) so that has to be factored in.

With that said... besides the ugly CPE... we have chosen Aperto as our
vendor of choice in the 3.65GHz band.  I like it, and I think if you do
field trials with it, it will win out over many of the other systems.

Daniel White
3-dB Networks
http://www.3dbnetworks.com