From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Steven G McGehee
Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2010 11:24 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] how to compete with $15 DSL

Hi Kurt,

What we decided to do a few years ago was let the residential users "go,"
basically. We knew we couldn't compete with the telcos/cable co.
increasingly lower prices so our sales guys (I'm a tech) changed tactics and
just focused on businesses -- offering them multi-megabit upstream speeds,
carrier grade uptime with SLAs whereby they get a credit for every hour
they're down (which is quite rare, but customers like the sound of it). We
often also throw offer a second backup wireless link (usually connecting on
to a different PoP on a different frequency) and setup EIGRP for them.
Hosting/email services/24-7 monitoring/colocation/voip are on the menu too
so those get put into negotiations with the potential clients.

Residential users don't have a need for a lot of that though, so we too were
wondering how to compete. While we still do dialup/DSL for them, our
strategy was to go for the businesses...a few years behind us, we're happy
with that decision. Good luck!

-Steven

----