Friends,

I understand the reciprocal agreement between USA and Canada, specifically,
pre-dates the CEPT arrangement by many years, and specifies a locational
suffix . whereas under CEPT and (I believe) under most other reciprocal
agreements, a locational prefix is the norm, leaving the suffix to designate
the type of installation e.g. mobile, maritime mobile, portable,
aeronautical mobile etc.

So, the VE or W locational suffix is an exception . hence probably not an
ideal example to use for the global audience.

Prefixes, suffixes, special calls, remote operations, /QRP, IOTA & zones
references, and whether to log or ignore suffixes etc. opens a massive can
of worms that WSJT-X is not going to fix, so I suggest ducking the issue as
far as possible in the documentation, preferably using the more common CEPT
locational prefix as an example rather than the exceptional VE suffix?

That still leaves the issue of the program correctly identifying the
locations of stations from their callsigns: good luck with that, given the
vagaries of licensing and inconsistent usage in practice!  The grid
reference is an alternative means of identifying where someone actually is .
but perhaps the whole issue is best left to our logging software rather than
WSJT-X.

73

Gary  ZL2/GW4iFB/email!