x...@raf.org wrote:

> René J.V. Bertin wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday October 12 2016 02:08:36 Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:
> >
> > >You can use xrandr from the command line to put XQuartz into
> > >fullscreen mode at the native display pixel resolution (eg: `xrandr
> > >-s 2880x1800`),
> >
> > That's probably a good enough workaround for the OP for now.
> >
> > >but that will be a fullscreen mode and will render your windows much
> > >smaller than what you want.
> >
> > How so? If you want 100x100 px and you get 100x100px you got what you
> > asked for ;)
> > Afterwards you just have to change your configuration, starting with
> > Xft.dpi, and the window sizes you request. Not a problem as far as
> > I can see, as long as you don't try to use those same settings on a
> > regular display (and you don't depend on bitmap fonts only available
> > for lower resolutions) ...

> thanks. that's great. i'm using xrandr -s 1680x1050 to match the
> resolution of my last laptop. 2880x1440 also works but i'd have
> to change font sizes as well as window sizes. i might look into
> that sometime. my .xinitrc already chooses different window
> sizes depending on screen resolution. it could make use of
> larger fonts as well.
>
> as an added bonus, by adding xrandr to my .xinitrc, XQuartz
> (which is configured to use fullscreen mode) now starts in
> fullscreen mode. yay! i still have to click in an xterm before
> any xterm will receive keystrokes but that's only when i start
> it up. i can put with that.
>
> many thanks.

I spoke too soon. It worked for a while but eventually after
leaving and re-entering XQuartz, the resolution was back to
1440x900. I quit XQuartz and restarted it but then I couldn't
leave xquartz anymore. Command-Option-A just made the screen go
black (rather than showing the normal desktop) until I pressed
it again to go back to my XQuartz windows. Oh well.

cheers,
raf