Hmm, what's the hardware (the zd1211rw: ... line in your dmesg, you can
probably just grep zd1211 /var/log/message for it as well) may be all the same.
There are quite a few variants.

I don't know if putting compat-wireless on will help, but you could give that a
try. FWIW, the driver development has gone over to
linux-wireless.org and changes goes directly into wireless-testing git; the
sourceforge zd1211 site isn't much more than the mailing list these days, and
even the mailing list isn't very active. (try the linux-wireless list may be a
good idea).