On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 12:34:32 -0800, anatmanwave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> ---If there is no train what just ran over my foot?
>
Now there is a foot, too?
> I answer in the reletive, you come back in the absolute.
Not absolutely...I realize that everything is to a degree relative,
and I did not intend for the comment(s) to sound absolutist, but
to offer some talking points on the underlying Buddhist approach
of example via KOANS, since that was the essential topic.
>
> I fully understand the concept of mental constructs(?). We create
> our universe in every moment. But it is the action we take not our
> understanding of the situation that affects the world around us.
Yes, exactly. And I did underscore that principle, and am in agreement
with this view.
> Furthermore good effort does not always mean good results. best
> laid plans of mice and men........?
Also, no disagreement, as in comment on "sh_t" happens. Again, at
every layer,
as I suggested, we always have some choices to right thought and right
action...
Buddhism and Zen are as close to absolutist on these principles.
> Just have to go with the flow,
> Guy
That is the most important final perspective, of course..which relates
to my
comment on ultimate harmony and finding one's own place and action in the
world...
if we keep bumping into things, or thinking that the glass is half empty,
and then
bump into things, that is when rational thinking suggests that we might
need to alter
our thoughts, our habits or our occupation. There can be no doubt that
the odds of
unpleasant results if one is a police officer are likiely much higher than
if one happens
to be a photographer. That does not preclude that a photographer is safe
from harm,
accident or personal tragedy. No one is free from the nature of the
world. As you say,
given that some bad things will happen sometime, it is our resulting
thoughts and
actions in response to these bad things, that most form the next layer of
our lives.
I also try to go with the flow, but realize that at times I am responsible
for guiding or
channeling that flow as smoothly as possible. And believe me, I have had
my share
of recent turbulence to understand the ultimate reality of humility about
these things!
Peace,
Zenbob
--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are
reading! Talk about it today!
Yahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/
<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional
<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/join
(Yahoo! ID required)
<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/