The Absolute and the Reletive truths are not conditional, it is not
about our understanding. they exist, whether we "get it" or not. And
we are not seperate from this, never said that.
I might say that the "objective of Zen" and human existence on a
fundemental level are one and the same, not some enlightened state
off in another dimension seperate from others.
and if you question my understanding of the self, check my screen
name again..........
Wherever i look I can't find me.

> >  The Reletive truth is that things exist here and now in this
exact
> > moment, not the moment ahead or behind. Form springing up from
the
> > Universe. It's why the Zen student who stunned his toe
exlaimed "I
> > will not be fooled again"
> > The Absolute truth is that all things, one thing; therefore no
> > thing. The Universe springing from form.
> >

>     Sure, but where did you learn that?  Which world do you see
without
> your eyes?
>     What truths did you learn without teachers?  See, if you
truly
> understand the
>     nature of reality, you also realize that thought is both
liberation and
> cage...
>     The more one argues for a univberse that springs from form
without
> individual
> identity the more you have refuted the argument that you are
trying to put
> forth.
> One cannot shout for silence and be in harmony.

Dude, I'm not even sure how to respond to this. you start off
agreeing with me then attack me, but not the statement. Now you can
say whatever you want, don't care. but at least refute the statement
while your at it to show me why I"m bullshit.
Further,You seem to be caught in extremism. Words and concepts are
the way we communicate. If we were face to face, maybe that would be
different. Maybe not. But this would be a boring group if no one
ever spoke, really wouldn't be a group.
So it comes down to this, it is good to be able to clear one's mind
and be present, however, real life demands working with others.
Thought and words are tools, merely that. It is right understanding
of the situation.
 When I used the word "springs" i used it to illustrate we were
talking about one truth and not the other. Emptiness is form, form
is emptiness. Absolute is the reletive, the reletive the absolute.
It is not my postion the universe springs from us, as this is
totally not true. It is not my concept of the universe but the
universe itself before me, directly experienced. When I say Universe
I do not mean the stars and planets, i mean what they are and all
things are. no thing. all is impermenent, what is the nature of
form? emptiness. Absolute truth.
Form, or reletive truth, is merely "fine particulants" of the
universe coming together at a point and time. AKA, Skandhas. Trash
heaps. Anatman. Big jade stupa.

>      I appreciate what you are saying, but your writing was based
on a
> supposition,
> a construct of "what if?"  This allowed me to respond as if the
nature of
> the problem was
> rooted in thought, not in actuality.  Fair game.  The process
would have
> been very different
> had you expressed the discussion from some specific experience
that was
> actual...then we
> are finitely limited to thoughts and decisions that could in
reality have
> been taken then, or
> things one could do now to make things "better."   But, if any of
my
> students ever pose a
> "thought experiment" what-if, I am certainly going to expose the
fallacy
> of such arguemnts
> with the Zen discipline that I used with my response.  If a
student asked
> me, "Zenbob,
> what if I were on a boat with only one life preserver, the boat
was
> sinking, and there were
> women and children on board, to whom should I throw the life
preserver?"
> I would respond with,
> "Toss them all life preservers!  What kind of cruel person
imagines a boat
> with only one life preserver
> when it has women and children as passengers?"  Or I could
say, "You only
> need to remind them
> to fly from the boat, as each of us is actually a beautiful bird."
>
> That is Zen, folks.

 I think the process might have been different fi you had of
responded initially by saying, "I would have handed him some TP".
That would trump my kind words, as I usually don't carry TP around.
Guy

> :)
> >

> >   In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Kirbo" <zen2wrk@> wrote:

> >>          Now there is a foot, too?

> >>      Not absolutely...I realize that everything is to a degree
> > relative,
> >>      and I did not intend for the comment(s) to sound
absolutist,
> > but
> >>      to offer some talking points on the underlying Buddhist
> > approach
> >>      of example via KOANS, since that was the essential topic.

> > our
> >>
> >>     Yes, exactly.  And I did underscore that principle, and am
in
> > agreement
> >> with this view.

best

> >>      Also, no disagreement, as in comment on "sh_t" happens.
> > Again, at
> >> every layer,
> >>      as I suggested, we always have some choices to right
thought
> > and right
> >> action...
> >>      Buddhism and Zen are as close to absolutist on these
> > principles.

> >>     That is the most important final perspective, of
course..which
> > relates
> >> to my
> >>   comment on ultimate harmony and finding one's own place and
> > action in the
> >> world...
> >> if we keep bumping into things, or thinking that the glass is
half
> > empty,
> >> and then
> >> bump into things, that is when rational thinking suggests that
we
> > might
> >> need to alter
> >> our thoughts, our habits or our occupation.  There can be no
doubt
> > that
> >> the odds of
> >> unpleasant results if one is a police officer are likiely much
> > higher than
> >> if one happens
> >> to be a photographer.  That does not preclude that a
photographer