I also define moral as a code of conduct.  It was that explained in a
post to Jack Master.  There must have been an linguistic error here
from my side.  And so I'll try again to explain it and be a little
bit more extensive. What you are explaining here about morality is
something moralistic.

Moral is a kind of a double razor and depends how this is used can
have the effect of moralistic with narrow mind implications based in
a code of conduct followed strictly to the rule but lacking of real
insight by the person who follows it and not just that the person who
is a moralistic usually tries to impose his/her owns views to
others.  In this case the moral that comes from a moralistic person
is boring.

But there is a moral with a personal code set of conduct or
principles, coming from within oneself experience. It's a moral
developed by oneself alone and that not necesseraly goes with the
morality of others or society.

A person with no moral values is a dangerous person.  The Dalai Lama
has his moral values.  Gandhi had his moral values.  Thich Nhat Hanh
has his moral values.  Martin Luther King Junior had his moral
values...All peacemakers of the world have had and have their own
moral values.  A person without moral values is a person of not being
trusted.

Thanks for posting
Mayka

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Makya,
>
> My view of morals is the same as Margie's.  I define 'morals' as a
code of
> conduct.  This code can be very complex - as in Islamic Sharia Law
or the
> Jewish Talmud; or can be fairly short as in the Old Testament's 10
> Commandments or the Buddhist 5 Precepts; or can be very simple as
in Jesus'
> teaching to 'Love one another'.  More important to this discussion
is
> whether morals are thought to be absolute or relative.
>
> Most religions (all?) believe the discrimination between right and
wrong and
> therefore codes of conduct are ABSOLUTE.  The code or list from
which the
> 'correct' action can be derived should apply to ALL situations and
most
> importantly to ALL people.  What's right or wrong in all situations
and for
> all people.  This makes it easy to judge the conduct of both
yourself and
> others.  Since there are a lot of situations and a lot of people,
most
> religion's codes of conduct are very complex.
>
> Zen's perspective on the discrimination between right and wrong and
> therefore the selection of a 'correct' action is RELATIVE.
The 'correct'
> action depends the situation, and most importantly is determined by
each
> individual for themselves.  What's right for you in a certain
situation
> might not be right in a different situation.  What's right for you
in a
> certain situation might not be right for someone else in the same
situation.
> This makes it unnecessary to judge (after-the-fact) your own
conduct since
> your actions were completely determined by the situation at the
time of
> execution;  and it is impossible (or at least useless) to try to
judge the
> conduct of others.  This also means that zen cannot ascribe to any
formal
> code of conduct or morals.
>
> Hope this helps...Bill!

On Behalf