Cogito, ergo sum! Descartes' theory of 'I think, therefore I am' is the Internet
Encyclopedia of Philosophy article on Descartes' work.

From: [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Edgar Owen
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2008 9:53 AM
Subject: Re: [Zen] consciousness

Not quite. What I'm saying is that consciousness and the material world are
identical. Consciousness is observer dependent perspectives on the material
world from the POV of particular observers and events. Each of these
consciousnesses is all that exists for the particular observer (all is
consciousness only). Our concept of a material world is simply a cognitive
construct of our consciousness, however that construct seems consistent and
sharable thus we may assume it has an independent existence beyond our
particular consciousness though we of course can never actually confirm that
because we can never step outside of consciousness.

Not easy to explain or perhaps understand.

To address your questions: Replace Karma with causality. Karma has moral
implications that are unsubstantiated. Causality though does exist and
provides the rules which make our conscious perspectives and material world
view cognitive constructs consistent. Thus causality does govern what
happens in the world of forms.

As to when we die, the answer is that when you die your consciousness stops
and your body decays (my perspective). On the other hand I can never
experience death since death is the end of experience.

Hope that helps,