Hi Edgar and Bill:

There is a very good book from Thich Nhat Hanh with the tittle of:
"Understanding Our Mind" .

For instance In Chapter 35 says:

"Space, time and the four great elements
are all manifestations of consciousness.
In the process of interbeing and interpenetration
our store consciousness ripens in every moment"

The four great elements are: earth, water, fire and air.

Chapter 39:

"Interdependent manifestation has two aspects-
deluded mind and true mind.
Deluded mind is imaginary construction,
True mind is fulfilled nature".

Mayka

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Edgar wrote:
> >Good point. And we actually are conscious of only the minutest
fraction of
> the reality around us at any time.
>
> In the DOORS TO PERCEPTION published in 1954 the author Aldous
Huxley
> proposed that the brain, rather than emanating knowledge, actually
acts as a
> FILTER of knowledge.  He goes on to propose that hallucinogenic or
religious
> experiences (between which he draws only a fine distinction) are a
result of
> a breakdown in the brain's filtering function.  This breakdown can
be caused
> anything that deprives the brain of oxygen (such as chanting or
slow,
> controlled breathing like zazen), or glucose (such as fasting or
some drugs
> like LSD and mescaline), or introduces chemicals (such as self-
flagellation,
> fasting also increases the quantity of toxic wastes in the blood
stream,
> flight/fight reaction or any number of other drugs).
>
> Another good book on this subject is VARIETIES OF RELIGIOUS
EXPERIENCE