From: Edgar Owen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Zen] consciousness
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, 12 October, 2008, 7:46 AM

Well not quite. Personal consciousness is associated with material beings and
disappears with the dissolution of the material form. However if you read my
paper http://EdgarLOwen. com/HardProblem. pdf you will see that my view is that
everything, that is the entire material world, is in fact the same experiential
'stuff' of consciousness that is the same 'stuff' of human consciousness just
in a different form particular to the material it is associated with. I.e. a
human has human type contents in this consciousness stuff and a molecule has
molecule type contents of it. That's probably not very clearly stated but the
idea is that the interaction of all matter with other matter amounts to
matter's experience of matter which is what the causal process of reality that
continually flows through the present moment with clock time is. That same flow
is experienced as human consciousness by humans, and mouse consciousness by
mice as the details, the contents of
 consciousness, depend on the different biological and cognitive structures of
mice and men while the phenomenon of consciousness itself as opposed to its
details is common to both mice and men, and in fact everything in the universe.

So the contents of consciousness will be different for each being and the
contents are the forms that arise in consciousness itself which are illusion..
Whereas consciousness itself, that in which the contents of consciousness arise
is the same for everything in the universe. It is simply the physical reality
of the present moment. So tuning into the pure consciousness itself, devoid of
its contents, is Zen, or satori since the content forms which are the veils of
illusion are no longer present and do not distract from consciousness itself.

But of course the contents do persist in the material world and so the trick is
to continually recognize these contents for what they are, contents of pure
consciousness, ripples or disturbances in the field of consciousness itself, so
that one doesn't get entangled in the individual forms but always sees them as
contents of the underlying pure consciousness itself. The forms themselves have
no real substance since they are just ripples or disturbances in what would be
the perfect stillness of consciousness itself devoid of any forms or ripples.

Hope that makes it a little clearer.

As to the OBE, I really haven't felt I had to explain it. It was just something
that happened. In my view it is a fundamental mistake to think consciousness is
located or centered in the physical body, since everything we see and
experience is actually happening in our own head and the idea of an individual
'self' is just a cognitive construct, so that cognitive construct can
subjectively locate its concept of observer anywhere it wants, at least
temporarily. In that view 'our' consciousness continually pervades everything
that we experience to its furtherest boundaries. Since all that is experienced
is consciousness, consciousness must then be antecedent to the division between
self and not self.

Remember the furtherest boundaries of the horizon are simply our retinas inside
our eyes, and the whole world exists in the nigredo of our brains (the black
obsidian crystal ball which we wish to turn into a perfectly clear crystal ball
brain - unconsciousness into consciousness) , but of course that means our eyes
are the sky and our consciousness in our brains pervades the entire universe.

Thus the Zen adage: "Awaken the mind, while dwelling nowhere." Which means wake
up and recognize that consciousness is not centered anywhere but everywhere and
transcends the distinction between self and world.