Dear Bill;

I have always enjoyed and keep enjoying all your postings regardless
of being intelectual, agree or disagree. You are of great strenght to
this group.  You have lots of experience and I admire your
communicative skills and your elocuence.  Whatever you say, with you
one always learns a lot.

If I pointed out intelectualization and mindfulness wasn't any
personal to anyone. Sorry if that was interpretated in that way. I'm
a person with very powerful and strong emotions, plus ego, arrogance
and so on.  And because of that I have no more choice that to
practice mindfullness in order to have them under control.  My say
was a general observation about the mind in the mind. Nothing
personal at all.

Mayka

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Edgar,
>
> Mark thinks it's off-topic.  Mike thinks it's off-topic.  Mayka
thinks it's
> off-topic.  I think it's off-topic, but I enjoyed it.  I'd be happy
> continue the discussion offline via email.
>
> ...Bill!

On Behalf
> Of Edgar Owen
> Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:17 PM
> To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: [Zen] Re: TNH - Fifty Verses of the Nature of
Consciousness.
> Part 4, Sense Consciousness
>
> Bill,
>
> I don't think our causality discussion is OT at all. The true
nature of
> things is exactly what Zen is about. Until we understand that there
is no
> Zen.
>
> Zen is not about avoiding reality by sitting forever in zazen. Zen
is about
> living day to day in the real world of things seen in their true
nature, of
> illusion seen as illusion, which is reality.
>
> EDgar
>

> On Oct 15, 2008, at 6:50 AM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> Mark, Mike and Mayka,
>
> I'd like to acknowledge my agreement with you about the great chasm
that
> necessarily exists between zen and intellectualization.
>
> I'd also like to assure all of you that the current discussion
thread on
> Causality, with is mainly between Edgar and me, has nothing at all
to do
> with zen or Zen Buddhism as far as I'm concerned. It is exactly as
you've
> characterized it - head-candy. I call it verbal Sudoku. The Zen
Forum is
> not an appropriate place for us to have this discussion, and at
least on my
> part I'm willing to shut it down.
>
> The thread was a divergence from a legitimate discussion on a topic
that is
> appropriate to zen and Buddhism, the concept of karma. Causality is
a kind
> of value-free version of karma.
>
> Thanks for reminding me of the purpose of the forum and the
boundaries that
> should be respected.
>
> ...Bill!
>
> P.S. For some reason I'm not getting any of Mayka's or Mike's
postings. I
> get Zen Forum postings sent directly to me via email. I only see the
> postings when someone, like Mark, responds and I see the original
posting
> embedded in his post. I've asked Al to look into this before, but
there has
> been no explanation. Has anyone else noticed this? Or can anyone
else
> offer any possible explanations or suggestions?

On Behalf
> Of Mark Perew
> Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 3:52 PM
> To:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [Zen] Re: TNH - Fifty Verses of the Nature of
Consciousness.
> Part 4, Sense Consciousness
>
> Mike -
>
> A toast to the things I cannot change!
>

> On 10/15/08, mike brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Mayka,
>
> >My knowledge and insight about
> >consciousness is rather limited. And therefore open to
> >intelectualization and what is the worst speculation. Being aware
of
> >the harm that intelectualization and speculation can cause I'd
rather
> >keep quiet till real insight cames out.
>
> Well said. I really do enjoy reading the intellectual and
metaphysical
> postings here, but at the end of the day, that is all they really
are -
> headcandy for the intellect. That's why I guess I would call myself
a Zen
> Buddhist. The danger of trying to extract zen from Zen Buddhism can
lead to
> the charge that zen is nothing more than an "intellectual exercise"
ala
> JMJM. IMHO an understanding of 'emptiness' without following the
Eight
> Precepts won't  lead to a self-transformation as deep as following
them. I
> don't remember who said it, but zen without Zen Buddhism is like an
> alcoholic going to an AA meeting in the morning and a cocktail
lounge in the
> evening.
>
> Mike.

Consciousness. Part
> 4, Sense Consciousness
> Hi Mike;
>
> Which of the verses would like a comment?. These last three or
> previous ones?. If you're refering to these last three verses then
> in order to understand them one needs first to understand all
> previous ones. Verses are all linked like an unbreakable chain and
at
> the same time each verse contains also all the rest. Amazing art of
> writing, isn't it?.
>
> However, I'm not making comments at the moment for several reasons;
> First; it would create intelectual distraction over the readers.
> Second; Although I had this dharma directly transmitted during a
long
> retreat by Venerable Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh. I feel no much
> confidence yet on the subject.
>
> The Nature of Consciousness is a most fascinating subject to
discuss
> about in a dharma group. Of course providing that the ones who take
> part in such a complex discussion are people with a real
realizacion