Mayka,

I sense a pureness in you, at least what I can see of you through
your posts.  What I know of Thich Nhat Hanh is from reading one of
his books, which I thought was only 'okay', and interacting with you
on the Zen Forum.  It's my interaction with you on the Zen Forum that
forms most of the basis for my respect of Thich Nhat Hanh.

I liked everything (again) you wrote in your post about your teacher,
your aspirations and efforts to join his group, and your continued
practice outside his monastic sangha.  I sense you are a serious and
ernest student of zen.  Even the best zen master cannot guide a half-
hearted student to find his Buddha Nature, but a serious and ernest
student can become enlightened under a poor zen master - even a fraud.

I'm not saying this to suggest in any way that Thich Nhat Hanh is not
a good zen master.  I'm saying this to you to encourage you to
continue to practice, even if the conditions are not the best and the
disctractions you face seem insurmountable at times.  Your zen
practice depends entirely on you, not Thich Nhat Hanh, although he
can and obviously does provide encouragement, guidance and is an
example for you to strive for.

Since you beleive in karma, I'll say the fact that you found Thich
Nhat Hanh and that he seems to be such a well-suited teacher for you
is your good karma.  Such good karma as that must have been built up
over many lifetimes of living a pure life.  You deserve this
opportunity and it sounds like you're making the best of it.

I wish you continued good luck in your practice.

...Bill!

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Mayka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
impresion
> > > that has its roots in Mahayana Buddhism.
> > >

> > Zen Buddhism does have it's roots in Mahayana Buddhism.  Some
> beleive
> > Zen is a type of Mahayana Buddhism, and some beleive Zen is the
> > evolution (culmination) of Mahayana Buddhim and is a branch of
its
> > own.  I assum Thich Nhat Hanh being Vietnamese would have grown
up
> > under the influence of Theravada Buddhism, but anyway Theravada
is
> > not mutually exclusive from Mahayana Buddhsim.
> >
> > As you and I both know and have said repeatedly, none of these
> names
> > or terms are really important.  I usually only bring these up in
> > response to someone else's post referring to some specific type
of
> > Buddhism.  I'm not really overly concerned with Buddhism.  All
you
> > Buddhists can give it what ever names, and divide it up into
> whatever
> > categories you want.
> >
> > > I have never hear before zen without the influence of buddhism
or
> > > having as buddhism in its root. Interesting also the simplicity
> you
> > > seem to follow your own practice.
> > >

> > I know what you say is true.  Most people (99.9%?) inextricably
> > assocaiate zen and Buddhism.  Some think it is just one of the
many
> > branches of Buddhism.  Some, like the Vispassana Buddhists here
in
> > Thailand, think Zen is not a part of Buddhism at all - more like
> > cult, a derranged and impure psuedo-Buddhism.  Some think of Zen
as
> > the culmination of all Buddhism - the most pure form.
> >
> > I think of zen as pre-dating Buddhism, Hinduism, Judiasm,
> > Christianity and all other religions.  I think of zen as the core
> of
> > most other religions, and these other religions, including
> Buddhism,
> > are zen with a lot of extra crap stuck all over it.  In a lot of
> the
> > religions the extra crap is so thick that the zen core is totally
> > obsucured.  I do think that in Zen Buddhism, even with all the
crap
> > attached, at least the zen core is recognizable and accessible.
> >
> > >I like from it [Bill's zen practice] how direct is and
> > > its simplicity.  I also like from it how open is to criticism,
> and
> > > the fact that one can talk  about positve things and negative
> > things
> > > happening to one in a very open way. In constrast to the
profound
> > > wisdom from Thich Nhat Hanh I have always found difficult to
> relate
> > > myself in the non monastic sanghas due to its kind of
Disneyland
> > way
> > > of doing. I certainly share with you that as a practicioner I
> don't
> > > like to wave but to deal with what it comes as it comes alone.
> > > Though, I do lack of the mental stability over my emotions and
> > > solidity you seem to have.
> > >

> > I also feel a close connection with you, even though we often
> > disagree, or at least seem to disagree.  I respect your
perspective
> > and enjoy your posts.
> >
> > > You say that you practice from the perspective "Just This".
> > But "Just
> > > This" can not exist without "Just That".
> > >

> > Your statement above is actually true.  As soon as you
say 'this',
> > you imply there is a 'that'.  This is a good example of dualistic
> > thinking, but something that is all but impossible to extract
from
> > our language. Language ASSUMES and is based on dualism.  This is
> why
> > zen masters often refrain from giving language-based answers to
> > questions like 'What is Buddha Nature?'.  As soon as you open
your
> > mouth to speak, you're lost.  So what do they do?
> >
> > Sometimes they do use language, but in such a non-ordinary way
that
> > the listener cannot take their reponose literaly.  Examples of
> these
> > are 'mu', or 'the cypress tree in the garden', or 'dried shit on
> > stick'.  Sometimes they just yell something that is not a word at
> > all, like 'Katz!' or 'Wah!'.  Since these are not words they
cannot
> > be misunderstood.  Sometimes they don't speak but just slap the
> > floor, or turn around and walk away.  They do avoid using
ordinary
> > langauage if at all possible.
> >
> > If you and I were face-to-face and your were to ask me about
Buddha
> > Nature I would not say 'Just THIS!'.  I would demostrate Buddha
> > Nature.  The best way I figured out how to do this in writing
like
> on
> > this forum is to type Just THIS!
> >
> > > zen or buddhism are not bigger or smaller.  They may be
different
> > > ways in which the dharma is transmitted and nothing else.
> > >

> > When I say zen is smaller than Buddhism, I mean zen is the core
and
> > Buddhism (or Hinduism or Christianity) is the packaging.  Like
zen
> is
> > the marrow and Buddhsim is the bone which contains but hides the
> > marrow, or maybe even Buddhism is the entire body.  It's hard to
> get
> > to the marrow if you have to hack through the body and the bone.
> >
> > > I'm truly happy to see you active in the list.  Sorry if we
can't
> > > help oneselves by letting you lurking.  I suppose we all miss
you
> > > very much.  The zen forum is not the same without you, JM,
Mike,