Very good representation. A more scaring way is that Rinzai is like pushing
somebody into a bottomless abyss. Anybody has the courage to be pushed that way?

Anthony

--- On Tue, 2/12/08, Bill Smart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

From: Bill Smart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Zen] Position of Karma in Zen
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, 2 December, 2008, 11:08 PM

Edgar and JMJM,

My first Japanese Zen Buddhist roshi (teacher) was a Soto master. He
stressed 'shikan taza' or 'clear mind' zazen.

When he died I moved to the other teacher in the zendo who was also
Japanese but had dual linage from both Soto and Renzai schools. He
mixed shikan taza with koans.

One day he was asked what was the main difference in the technique
between Soto and Renzai, between shikan taza and koans? His answer
was 'Soto is like walking around in a light misting rain. You are
contstanly getting wet but don't notice it until one day you realize
you're thoroughly soaked! Renzai is like getting pushed in a
swimming pool. You're wet and soaked immediately, but aren't quite
sure just what happened. I stress koans especially on Americans
because they want to see results quickly, like the way the Japanese
martial arts have changed from a traditional white belt, brown belt
and black belt rankings to adding green, blue, yellow, etc...
Americans want to see results quickly. Most of them just don't have
the patience for Soto techniques.'

Just a little zen anecdote I thought you'd like.

....Bill!

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED] ps.com, Edgar Owen <[EMAIL PROTECTED] ..> wrote:

> JM,
>
> If northern chan was the gradual awakening and Japanese zen comes
> from that why does most Japanese Zen emphasize sudden, not gradual
> awakening?
>
> Edgar
>

> On Dec 1, 2008, at 9:33 PM, Jue Miao Jing Ming - 覺妙精明 wrote:
>
> > Hi Bill and Mayka,
> >
> > I love the sincerity, honesty and warmth of your post. Instead of
> > picking on Bill, which I am guilty of, I like to share with you my
> > experience of Chan/zen.
> >
> > Historically, in most of the written words, Chan is a Chinese
> > invention
> > regarding BodhiDharma as the founder or the First Patriarch. He
came
> > from the linage of Kasyapa, who were told to teach without words
and
> > formalities. So yes, Chan has Buddhism DNA.
> >
> > Gradually however, Taoist influenced Chan. Compare the Shin-Shin
Ming
> > by the Third Patriarch of Chan with that of Tao-Te-Chin by Lao
Tzu,
> > the
> > founder of Taoism. They are almost similar in content. In other
words,
> > words are useless. Essence is in the synchronization of spirit,
or chi
> > in Chinese.
> >
> > Because the Taoist meditative technique is more effective and
Buddhist
> > teaching is more popular, gradually Chan meditative practice
became
> > more
> > Taoist, such as QiGong, acupuncture, etc., Yet Chan still utilizes
> > Buddhist terms for describing spiritual experience. Chan is quite
> > hybrid.
> >
> > Since the Sixth Patriarch, Chan split into the sudden awakening
in the
> > south and the gradual awakening in the north. I have a huge linage
> > book given to me by my Teacher. It listed every patriarch in the
> > linage
> > with some of the recent records destroyed by the communist.
Northern
> > Chan was passed to Japan and pronounced zen about 700 years later.
> >
> > Because its 2,000 year history, there are variation in the
linages.
> > Some are more Buddhist and some are more Taoist and some are
neutral.
> > The essence and bulk of Chan, however, are actually quite well
> > maintained in the at-home practices. Through out Chinese history,
most
> > scholars, court officials practices Chan. Because they are the
most
> > suitable candidates.
> >
> > I agree with Bill, Chan/zen is the core of all spirituality,
> > because of
> > its simplicity. It is just a naked connectivity of one's spirit
with
> > that of the universe. It is just a formless, formality less,
wordless
> > spirituality. There is no robe, no shaving head, no bible. Any
> > religion can dress it any way they prefer.
> >
> > As long as the practitioner is truly and spiritually in touch his
true
> > self internally and with that of the universe externally, nothing
else
> > matters.
> >
> > All labels and descriptions existed for a reason. They are all
forms.
> > Forms are all relative and pertinent to that particular moment
> > only. We
> > don't have to compare, accept or reject. These actions in the
> > knowledge
> > domain does not relate to our well being whatsoever.
> >
> > In the end, be liberated from all sufferings, be content with
every
> > moment is the only thing matters.
> >
> > A bow to all,
> > JM
> >
> > Bill Smart wrote:
> > >
> > > Mayka,
> > >
> > > Thank you for your very candid and profound post. I appreciate
your
> > > sharing with the forum your admiration for Thich Nhat Hanh. You
are
> > > representing him and his teachings very, very well.
> > >
> > > Please remember that I don't get your posts in my email, and I
don't
> > > always check the website. So, if you have a post you want to
direct
> > > specifically to me or to assure my awareness of the post, please
> > > email it to me directly as you have in the past.
> > >
> > > My comments are embedded in your post below:
> > >
> > > --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED] ps.com <mailto:Zen_ Forum%
> > 40yahoogroups. com>,

Buddhist or
> > > the
> > tradition
> > > dharma.
> > > his
> > > words
> > > very
> > > hand,

> > > can
> > > lively
> > > >

> > > Thank you again for your vivid description of Thich Nhat Hanh
and
> > > your impression of him. He is honored to have you as a student.
> > >
> > > One of the things you've said above rings especially true for
this
> > > forum: living dharma cannot be expressed by words alone -
especially
> > > in only written text. It's only from face-to-face contact with
some
> > > as you describe that you can fully appreciate their total
absorption
> > > in the dharma.

> > > Zen Buddhism does have it's roots in Mahayana Buddhism. Some
beleive
> > > Zen is a type of Mahayana Buddhism, and some beleive Zen is the
> > > evolution (culmination) of Mahayana Buddhim and is a branch of
its
> > > own. I assum Thich Nhat Hanh being Vietnamese would have grown
up
> > > under the influence of Theravada Buddhism, but anyway Theravada
is
> > > not mutually exclusive from Mahayana Buddhsim.
> > >
> > > As you and I both know and have said repeatedly, none of these
names
> > > or terms are really important. I usually only bring these up in
> > > response to someone else's post referring to some specific type
of
> > > Buddhism. I'm not really overly concerned with Buddhism. All you
> > > Buddhists can give it what ever names, and divide it up into
> > whatever
> > > categories you want.

> > you
> > > >

> > > I know what you say is true. Most people (99.9%?) inextricably
> > > assocaiate zen and Buddhism. Some think it is just one of the
many
> > > branches of Buddhism. Some, like the Vispassana Buddhists here
in
> > > Thailand, think Zen is not a part of Buddhism at all - more
like a
> > > cult, a derranged and impure psuedo-Buddhism. Some think of Zen
as
> > > the culmination of all Buddhism - the most pure form.
> > >
> > > I think of zen as pre-dating Buddhism, Hinduism, Judiasm,
> > > Christianity and all other religions. I think of zen as the
core of
> > > most other religions, and these other religions, including
Buddhism,
> > > are zen with a lot of extra crap stuck all over it. In a lot of
the
> > > religions the extra crap is so thick that the zen core is
totally
> > > obsucured. I do think that in Zen Buddhism, even with all the
crap
> > > attached, at least the zen core is recognizable and accessible.

> > > things
> > relate
Disneyland
> > > way
> > don't
> > > >

> > > I also feel a close connection with you, even though we often
> > > disagree, or at least seem to disagree. I respect your
perspective
> > > and enjoy your posts.

> > > But "Just
> > > >

> > > Your statement above is actually true. As soon as you
say 'this',
> > > you imply there is a 'that'. This is a good example of dualistic
> > > thinking, but something that is all but impossible to extract
from
> > > our language. Language ASSUMES and is based on dualism. This is
why
> > > zen masters often refrain from giving language-based answers to
> > > questions like 'What is Buddha Nature?'. As soon as you open
your
> > > mouth to speak, you're lost. So what do they do?
> > >
> > > Sometimes they do use language, but in such a non-ordinary way
that
> > > the listener cannot take their reponose literaly. Examples of
these
> > > are 'mu', or 'the cypress tree in the garden', or 'dried shit
on a
> > > stick'. Sometimes they just yell something that is not a word at
> > > all, like 'Katz!' or 'Wah!'. Since these are not words they
cannot
> > > be misunderstood. Sometimes they don't speak but just slap the
> > > floor, or turn around and walk away. They do avoid using
ordinary
> > > langauage if at all possible.
> > >
> > > If you and I were face-to-face and your were to ask me about
Buddha
> > > Nature I would not say 'Just THIS!'. I would demostrate Buddha
> > > Nature. The best way I figured out how to do this in writing
like on
> > > this forum is to type Just THIS!

> > > When I say zen is smaller than Buddhism, I mean zen is the core
and
> > > Buddhism (or Hinduism or Christianity) is the packaging. Like
zen is
> > > the marrow and Buddhsim is the bone which contains but hides the
> > > marrow, or maybe even Buddhism is the entire body. It's hard to
get
> > > to the marrow if you have to hack through the body and the bone.

Mike,

> > > El gusto es mio...
> > >
> > > ...Bill!

      New Email names for you!