Artie,
The mind controls or can control the body's responses.  Anger arises in the
mind and though it may be as you say, "these responses are "automatic,"  We can
have direct control over them.  Patience is not a mind that arises
automatically, but with effort patience negates anger.  It does not suppress
it, but mentally transforms the situation.  Where something may have angered us
in the past, patience now arises and with it newer less destructive more
constructive responses.  In time, what once took practice, patience, will arise
automatically for us.  So where anger may arise automatically so too may
patience arise for us automatically with effort.

Joe