Greetings

In my estimation there really is no way to assert what Zen is, whether you
are restricting it to zazen; or opening it to a wider religious and
cultural  discussion.  The best we can do is just admit we fall short and
perhaps
point to our own experience, to presence.  Of course we could ask ourselves
who is being present?

So repeating zazen zazen zazen with platitudes to support it, or explaining
 big Zen and little zen, does do much but tell us something about who is
doing  the talking and perhaps who is doing the listening here.

I think it is safe to say that Zen is a path that addresses the
experiential with zazen as its central methodology -- a sort of undoing of
yourself,
the conditioned cultural and experiential part of your personality  that
continuously reacts and feeds your ego.

Think of it this way, while you are reading this you are already reacting
inside in an automatic way.  Zen seeks to loosen the bounds of your false
self and return you to your natural state.  Part of the reason why Zen
honors spontaneity, clarity, nature and a sense of the primordial untouched
mother that feeds us all.

In this respect Zen shares a great deal in common with Sufism, although the
 methods might be a great deal different.

Best wishes

Kirk

It shares a great deal of common

In a message dated 9/9/2010 10:55:19 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,