Bill,

The differences in pronouciation signify class difference, which
were/are a huge issue in England (and the world over) in conjugal
alliances.

--ED

> Mayka,
>
> It's from an old song entitled LET'S CALL THE WHOLE THING OFF. It's
basically about two people who are engaged to be married but find they
have so many differences that are thinking about canceling the marriage.

>  The 'po-tay-to, po-tah-to' is an example of their differences used in
the song:
> "You say 'po-TAY-to' [pronouncing 'potato' with a long 'a' vowel sound
- like 'eh'],
> And I say 'po-TAH-to'. [pronouncing 'potato' with a short 'a' vowel
sound - like 'ahhh']

> It's sometimes used to draw attention to the fact that whatever is
being argued about is very trivial, or the differences are trivial.