From: billsm...@hhs1963.org <billsm...@hhs1963.org>
Subject: RE: [Zen] Zen and the Brain
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, 26 October, 2010, 11:25

Mayka,

It’s from an old song entitled LET'S CALL THE WHOLE THING OFF. It's basically
about two people who are engaged to be married but find they have so many
differences that are thinking about canceling the marriage. The 'po-tay-to,
po-tah-to' is an example of their differences used in the song:
"You say 'po-TAY-to' [pronouncing 'potato' with a long 'a' vowel sound - like
'eh'],
And I say 'po-TAH-to'. [pronouncing 'potato' with a short 'a' vowel sound -
like 'ahhh']

It's sometimes used to draw attention to the fact that whatever is being argued
about is very trivial, or the differences are trivial.

...Bill!