Ed,  My answers are embedded below:

> I think there is a distinct difference between doing and feeling something
and only reading about it.

And, what is the signifance of this (personally-experienced) difference?

[Bill!] I already addressed this in a follow-on companion post.  There is
only personal experience.  What other kind could there be?

> There is absolutely the experience of reading. That's yours, and that
might invoke a similar experience to what the writer is writing about.
That's the goal of good writing, to communicate experience (or thoughts).
> You can read all you want about what swimming is like, but until you
actually jump into deep water you really don't˜know swimming. Read 'know' in
the prior sentence as 'experience'.
> Experience is what's important, not just 'knowing'.

One's experience is important to whom and why?

[Bill!] Maybe ‘important’ gives the wrong impression.  How about
‘Experiences are real.  Knowing is illusory.’?  You can decide for yourself
whether know the difference is important.

 > Knowing or understanding is an intellectual activity.

And what does one conclude from that?

[Bill!] One concludes that knowing is illusory.

> Experience is living.

Is that the way it 'should' be for everyone - or do they have a choice?

[Bill!] That is the way it is for me.  Others have a choice to recognize
this or deny it.

> Intellectual activities are part of living also, but only a very small
insignificant piece, in my opinion. Most people put way too much importance
on them and as a result are attached to them.

OK, it's a subjective personal truth.

[Bill!] Yes, an observation based on personal experience.

Do persons not have a choice as to what they think/feel is important to
themselves?

[Bill!] Yes, of course.  People can think it’s important to cut themselves
or torture animals.  It’s their choice.

So, what if they are 'attached'? What business is that of anyone else?

[Bill!] It isn’t specifically anyone else’s business, unless of course they
are asking you for advise or their attachments infringe on the life of
others – like if they’re attached to the concept of God or Allah and
persecute people who don’t share their attachment.  Helping the former and
resolving issues with the latter may include trying to help them become
aware of their attachments.

database 5580 (20101031) __________