Anthony,

No.

> ED,
>
> Your highlighted words have awakened my non-wisdom mind. Do you mean
you already knew Buddhism and zen before reading Christmas Humphrey and
Alan Watts. Only you forgot them, but were again reminded by the two
authors. You are a prophet.

> Anthony

> --- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, BillSmart@ wrote:
> >
> > Ed, My responses are embedded below:
>
> [Ed]  When one reads, it is not necessarily to 'learn', but also and
especially to awaken one's own intrinsic wisdom-mind, no?

> [Bill!]  I assume by 'intrinsic wisdom-mind' you mean 'Buddha Mind' or
'Original Mind'.

> [ED] No, I do not mean 'Buddha Mind' because I have not realized
'Buddha Mind' - whatever that might be.
> I use it in the sense that the Teachings or the Teacher can be like
the light of the sun falling on a sleeping student, awakening him to
truth he had already possessed, but had merely forgotten.

> Four decades ago, that's the way I felt when I read Christmas
Humphreys' books on the Buddha's Teachings.
> That's the way I felt when I read my first book on Zen: "The Spirit of
Zen" by Alan Watts. Although often I did not 'understand' intellectually
what was being said, reading it aroused much joy in me.