Ed,

My comments are embedded below:

[Ed] "You must understand that a perspective on life that is derived from an
inner experience is different from one that is arrived at intellectually."
--Kobori-Roshi (1918-1992)

I've never heard of Kobori-Roshi before, which makes absolutely no
difference - except I don't know if he spoke or wrote this quote in English
or if it was translated.  Kobori-Roshi is either very, very wrong or he has
been misquoted.  There is no such thing as an 'inner experience'.  An
experience is an experience.  There is no outer or inner about it.  Also, I
don't know in what context he has made this quote, and especially why he
commented about 'a perspective on life'.  Zen practice does not give you a
'perspective on life'.  Perspectives are thought, and thought is illusory.
Zen practice gives you a pure, unadulterated, uncensored experience of life
- not a perspective.

[Ed]  "Taste as much of this as you can. Swallow what you need and spit out
the rest." -- Taizan Maezumi-Roshi (1931-1995) (To his disciples with regard
to importing Japanese Zen Teachings into the West.)

I studied under Maezumi Roshi for over 10 years.  I agree with the above and
have applied it to my zen practice, but don't see how it has any bearing on
what we've been discussing.

database 5597 (20101106) __________

database 5597 (20101106) __________