  From: ED
  To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, November 13, 2010 10:33 PM
  Subject: [Zen] Re: FW: Quote from St. Thomas Aquinas

  Hi Lluis,

  'Uralic' and 'Indo-European' are clasified as related but separate families
of languages.  See chart below.

  With best wishes,

  --ED

  http://www.friesian.com/trees.htm

  Language Affinities Beween Autochthonous Populations

  The second tree below essentially takes the first one but draws the tree over
again using language rather than genetic affinities. What is of interest are
the similarities to the first tree, indicating that human languages, which
certainly antedate the 300,000 year mark (see Derek Bickerton, Language and
Species [University of Chicago Press, 1990]), may also have a common origin in
Africa itself. Many of the higher order groupings, however, as discussed above,
are rather speculative. The theory of the "Nostratic" languages, which combines
Afro-Asiatic (Hamito-Semitic), Indo-European, Ural-Altaic, Dravidian, and
American Indian languages, is really the most dramatic but also may have the
most credible evidence in common vocabulary items and systematic phonetic
relationships. The grouping of Chinese with Basque, which otherwise seems
unrelated to any other languages, seems more than a little bizarre but, if
true, would be evidence of population movements and distribution prior to the
early historical presence of Indo-European speakers across northern Europe and
Asia. I have never seen explanations of the actual evidence for the
Basque-Chinese connection.

  --- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Lluís Mendieta <lme...@...> wrote:

  > Hi, Ed
  >
  > Well, I am at lost in what you mind
  >
  > I understand that they are westerners, as we are, even being
indo-european.. (so, roots in east).
  > But all that is dualistic....and not zen (or at least, deceiving) :-)
  >
  > With best wishes
  >
  > Lluís

  Hi Lluis,

  > "Finnish is the eponymous member of the Finno-Ugric language family and is
typologically between fusional and agglutinative languages. It modifies and
inflects the forms of nouns, adjectives, pronouns, numerals and verbs,
depending on their roles in the sentence.

  > Finnish is a member of the Baltic-Finnic subgroup of the Finno-Ugric group
of languages which in turn is a member of the Uralic family of languages. The
Baltic-Finnic subgroup also includes Estonian and other minority languages
spoken around the Baltic Sea.

  > The Finns are more genetically similar to their Indo-European speaking
neighbors than to the speakers of the geographically close Finno-Ugric
language, Sami. It has been argued that a native Finnic-speaking population
therefore absorbed northward migrating Indo-European speakers who adopted the
Finnic language, giving rise to the modern Finns."

  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_language

  >Wist best wishes,

  > --ED

  > Hi, Bill
  >
  > I beg to differ in two non zen questions
  > -Hungry? has the subject implicit. You do not place it, but it is implied.
  > The werb in spanish or catalan would be also implicit, so, I suppose same
in english.

  > -finnish is a westerner language. And they have a lot of words to design
the relationship within family.