From: ED <seacrofter...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Zen] Re: FW: Quote from St. Thomas Aquinas
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, 15 November, 2010, 12:24 AM

Bill,
If one looks at the family tree of population groups based on genetic distance
(in the first chart in http://www.friesian.com/trees.htm), one notices that: S.
Chinese, Mon Khmer, Thai, Indonesian, Malayians, Filipinos are closely related,
belonging to the family: 'Mainland SE Asian'.
On the other hand The 'Indian qualities' of the Thai probably orginate from:
"The culture of Thailand incorporates cultural beliefs and characteristics
indiginenous to the area known as modern day Thailand coupled with much
influence from ancient India, China, Cambodia, along with the the neighbouring
pre-historic cultures of Southeast Asia. It is influenced primarily by Animism,
Hinduism, Buddhism, as well as by later migrations from China, and southern
India.
Thailand is nearly 95% Theravada Buddhist, with minorities of Muslims (4.6%),
Christians (0.7%), Mahayana Buddhists, and other religions. Thai Theravada
Buddhism is supported and overseen by the government, with monks receiving a
number of government benefits, such as free use of the public transportation
infrastructure.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Thailand