"Big Mind"

"Merzel began developing the "Big Mind" process in 1999, after having
taught more traditional Zen meditation and koan study for more than
twenty years. The process is intended to allow anyone — including
non-Buddhists — to experience "the enlightenment of the Buddha".

The process is designed as a combination of Eastern meditation and
Western psychological techniques to transmit the essence of Zen
teachings in a way that is readily accessible and relevant to
Westerners, a realization they can further deepen through meditation.

The Big Mind process is claimed to enable participants to get in touch
with various aspects of themselves by inviting them to identify as and
speak from these aspects or states of mind.

The teacher walks participants through interactions with different
aspects of their mind, including ordinary, finite ones such as the
Protector, the Skeptic and Desiring Mind; and possibly less familiar,
"transcendent" ones such as the "Non-Seeking/Non-Grasping Mind", "the
Way", and "Big Mind and Big Heart".

Since 1999, he has offered workshops to more than 20,000 individuals all
around the world. In addition to presentations in cities in North
America and Europe, Genpo Roshi has made "Big Mind" available on DVDs
and online.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Genpo_Merzel#cite_note-4
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Genpo_Merzel#cite_note-4>

Also see:
http://hardcorezen.blogspot.com/2010/04/big-mind-sucks-part-million.html
<http://hardcorezen.blogspot.com/2010/04/big-mind-sucks-part-million.htm\
l>

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Kristy McClain <healthypl...@...>
wrote:

Chris,   To the contrary. I do not recommend Big Mind , necessarily.  In
fact, I have said here that it is not a process that works for me. It
seems a bit like group therapy, but not about zen.     I know it well,
as I have a home in UT, (though I live in CA).  Gempo Roshi's  zen
center is just two miles from my home there.   I did attend many
meditation  groups , classes and even a few  retreats there..   I am
friends with Diane Musho Hamilton, and she received her transmission
from Gempo Roshi.   Actually, I have been critical of this teaching
model in the past, but now--  Well, I truly feel that there are
different methods that work for different  personalities and cultures.
So, if one finds Big Mind meaningful, thats okay by me. I don't believe
in one recipe. I do think it may attract people who would not normally
include zen, or any spiritual practice in their lives. If so, then, I
think there is a benefit to society at large. ... Kristy