--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Kristy McClain <healthypl...@...>
wrote:

Good Morning Chris,   Gosh-- I didn't realize you lived in CA. For some
reason, I thought you lived in MD.  I will  look through the info on the
links you gave me today, and add any thoughts I have on that later.
Though Ed and Bill seem more  knowledgeable about Gempo and Big Mind
than I.     I will  offer, however, that I am still impressed with your
cycling, though as an exercise  junkie,  I will point out that cycling
uses more kcals than walking. Like any activity, it is dependent on the
intensity, however.  When I was starting  school in the 80's, a common
formula used in exercise prescription was known as the Karvone Formula,
but better assessments are used now.   I still use it, though, because
its easy,  and much more accurate than the archaic 220 -age. (Dangerous
mis-calculation).    This formula allows the calculation of a training
heart rate % that is equivalent  to the %  VO2 max, (%  max  HR = % VO2
max). (Volume of oxygen capacity).   Fitness recommendations back then
suggesting exercise intensity  between 70-85% VO2 max--  They are
substantially lower today which will bring to my second point later;)
So, for example:   HR  = 70% x  (max HR - resting HR) + resting HR
=  70%  x (170 - 70) +  70       =  140 beats /min    This method
adjusts for measuring variation in  resting and max HR, thereby avoiding
errors in one's training HR. (Cardiac patients and prescription drug use
are exceptions).   Now-- you REALLY  won't be an exercise enthusiast;)
I will point out that  most people  do not get enough activity in their
daily life to stay healthy.  While you, I, my mom might not have weight
problems or  chronic health complaints, I can assure you that  the
chronic health  issues adults and children have here in the USA  are
often a result of poor daily diet and a sedentary lifestyle.  Yes-- I'm
sure those  experienced   vegan monks on the mountain-tops are doing
fine with "just this", but for those of us who  live in  the norm world,
such is not the case. If others here want to argue otherwise, be my
guest-- I'll be out preparing my winter garden.   I agree that biking is
great fun, and mode of transit.  I didn't drive for several years after
my accident, and I got used to mass transit , bikes and walking.  I am
very environmentally-conscious, though I am terrible when it comes to
using plastic.  I remember  once that I was running on a country road
passing some farms.. I watched in horror as a crop duster came by and
dumped chemicals   on a crop--and me.  Its a given I would have been
much healthier if I had stayed home  with a piece of cheesecake in front
of the TV.     But you are correct that taking care of small children
does indeed qualify as heavy labor;)   I will look over those links and
add more later.  While the above may be thought of as off-topic, I think
all  of life is zen for me.  It is the attitude I bring to each activity
that makes it so .     > I'll check back later as surely Ed has  his own
blog on exercise  prescription.   Kristy, I used to be interested in
this sort of stuff at one time - but there's a time and a season for
everything. Best wishes, --ED   Have a super day..   Kristy