ED and Mel,

I'd like to offer another perspective on sin which is presented very
well by an online Christian magazine The Good News :
http://www.gnmagazine.org/issues/gn09/bibledefinesin.htm
<http://www.gnmagazine.org/issues/gn09/bibledefinesin.htm> )

***********************
"Two broad concepts
The Hebrew and Greek words translated "sin" throughout the Bible revolve
largely around two major concepts. The first is that of transgression.
To transgress means "to step across" or "to go beyond a set boundary or
limit." This concept can be compared to an athletic playing field with
lines delineating the boundaries within which the game is played. When a
player crosses over those boundary lines, he has committed a
"transgression" and gone out of bounds. Limits are set that define the
playing area, and the players are to stay within the limits of that
area.

Most of the other words translated "sin" in the Bible involve a second
concept, "to miss the mark." Again, to use a sports analogy, if a player
aims for the goal and misses, how many points does he get? None. He
missed the goal, missed the mark at which he was aiming.

This view of sin includes the concept of our going in one direction but
straying off course to the side and not continuing in the direction we
intended to go, with the result that we don't reach the goal we
intended. We miss."

***********************

If you take that definition of sin - to miss the mark - I think you
could support both of your views.  We all miss the mark sometimes, but
that is not necessarily good or bad.  Also, if you are truly expressing
your Buddha Nature there is no mark , no goal, no agenda- Just THIS!

...Bill!

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Mel <gunnar19632000@...> wrote:

> Funny. ED, there's no good or bad in Zen(and Bodhidharma is not the
Jesus of Zen). There's only activity, just like zazen
> in peace
> Mel

these non-practicing Zen folk appear to be."