And a Happy New Year to you too, JM!

JM, is there anything you would add, subtract or modify in my statement
below, compiled from a few Internet sources?

Thank you, ED

Characteristics of a mind of Buddhist 'mindfulness' (?)

o   Ever aware, watchful, set, ready

o   Brightly alert attention to internal, bodily and external phenomena
in the here and now

o   Not evaluative, just experiencing without internal comment

o   Single-minded and whole-hearted

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Jue Miao Jing Ming  wrote:

> [...]
> task. Let me explain.
>
> In the practice and dealing with everyday life, we say "Be aware but
not
> attached to", "focus but not focusing", "observe but not observing",
are
> some of the terms we use while we translate from our Chinese text to
> English. In other words, "sync to the universal wisdom at every
moment,
> and not be attached to the meaning of the phenomena." is the phrase we
> need to represent with a single word.
>
> The most common general terms as a verb in the practice, we use are
"be
> aware", "sense", "feel", etc. i.e. "sense our breathing", "feel the
> chakra". They are usually terms applying also to emotions, feelings as
> well as our general overall well being, physical and spiritual. We can
> not separate our "true feeling" from our body or mind.
>
> We are very careful not to consistently use the same word. Especially
> the practice to "notice" the conditions of our body, mind and spirit,
> could require different verb for a similar function. Chan teaching
> requires flexibility.
>
> The purpose of Chan wordings are nothing but to wake up the
> practitioner, and not to set a path or a rule to follow. After 5,000
> words, Diamond Sutra said only one thing, "Whatever you think it is,
it
> is not. It just is."
>
> Perhaps a lot of times, I am guilty in becoming lazy and just say,
> "Shut up, Sit down and Stop thinking."
> LOL.
>
> Be Enlightened In This Life - We ALL Can
> http://chanjmjm.blogspot.com
> http://www.heartchan.org

> > JM,
> >
> > What is your proposed definition of 'mindfulness'?
> >
> > --ED

> > --- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Jue Miao Jing Ming wrote:
> > >
> > Thank you JDB. Indeed we also teach "emptiness of mind".
> >
> > Somehow the western Zen is stuck on the label of "mind" and would
not
> > let go. There is even a seminar about the small mind and big
mind.
> > Though all journeys lead to the same place.
> >
> > "Mind" is too close to "thinking". It can be easily misunderstood
and
> > misinterpreted.
> >
> > We teach "empty your mind", "enhance your heart". And we continue to
> > say "because heart is where we could unify our body, mind and
spirit."

> > Somehow, unify our body to the same physical structure as the
universe
> > is not emphasized in western Zen. Most of the reading that I
have
> > encountered with focuses mainly on the mind and its awareness, not
on
> > the body and little on the spirit. Though we constantly talked
about
> > body, mind and spirit, but in essence, they are one and
inseparable.Â
> > Just like the universe.
> >
> > In our school, awareness does not reside in the mind. Awareness is a
> > function of our spirit, which reside in our heart. "Heart" is
not
> > the organic heart, but our "total well being", our "center" or
> > "ONE". Awareness enhancement helps us to be awakened to the Absolute
> > Awareness of the universe.
> >
> > This brings this post to another question. What does Zen say about
our
> > spirit? Our spiritual levels, our spiritual being, spiritual karma,
> > the sixth, seventh and eighth consciousness?
> >
> > After several years with this forum, I have read little about
these.Â
> > In other words, to be enlightened, we need to surpass karmic
hindrance
> > of body, mind and spirit. We need to work on all three.
> >
> > Otherwise, we are just imagining and hoping.
> >
> > On this New Year Day, I hope this post is not too objectionable to
ALL.